my life in ghana...

Saturday, March 17, 2007

i heart eating meat...

warning: this is a little bit graphic, if you like animals...

late last thursday night, i'm in my room reading when i hear...
"adzo, adzo!" (that's what they call me because no one can say kimberlee. it means a monday born girl.)
i open the door to see my friends denis and divine standing on my porch. denis says...
"we caught some rats. and we're gonna cook 'em."
me: "what?"
him: "WE CAUGHT SOME RATS AND WE ARE GOING TO EAT THEM."
me: "you caught RATS, and you're going to EAT them?"
him: "yeah"
me: "um, i've got to see this! i'm coming with."

so they take me over to the tree in which they caught the rats and show me the whole procedure. we then realized there was another one in there, so i got to see the whole thing in action. the rat is rather large, about 10 inches long, and another 8 inches on its tail. divine pulls the rat out from the tree roots by its tail and throws it up against the classroom building, breaking its neck. denis then grabs a 2x4 and gives it a good whack on the head to be sure it doesn't suffer. i notice a bit of blood on the floor; it brings tears to my eyes, which the students don't understand. they keep asking me "is it a sin to kill it to eat?" i have to answer no, so then they don't understand how i can be sad about it. we are so far removed from much of our food gathering in the u.s. that seeing things like this are hard for me. and i don't even like rats. what if it was a bunny? :)

anyways, we build a fire, and throw the rats in to burn off the fur and "sterilize" them. torchey (another student) pulls them out and starts cutting them up. he discards some of the insides, but most of the guts get thrown into the pot. in all this there is so much excitement and merriment among the students--arguments about how to make the stew, how much each will get, who will supply the onions, etc. (ps-arguments are merriment here!) and, to my horror, torchey cuts up the tails and throws them in, too. "it's very sweet." is the only explanation i get.

so we cook the rat stew and divide it up as evenly as possible... i am served first, and every one watches in anticipation. i pick up the choice piece they have given me, its a leg and it kinda looks like a chicken leg. i take a bite. you know, it wasn't that bad. i give the guys a smile and everyone cheers.

a few minutes later i realize the claw is still on the leg i'm eating. a little grossed out (and really not that hungry in the first place) i decide i'm finished. "you're not going to eat that?" asks denis. i reply "um, it's a foot." he reaches over, grabs it out of my hand and bites the claw right off. wow. its like real life fear factor. :)

but hey, i survived. and no one believed me when i said not only had i never eaten rat before, but i didn't even know anyone who had thought about eating rat before. you know, it kinda tasted like chicken. and at least i didn't have to eat the tail.

ps- i should have something up here in a few days...
www.pcusa.org/missionconnections/yav
under the ghana section, naturally.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha!! Oh my gosh! Miss you tons! - Emilee

17 March, 2007 16:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

torchey is a good name for a kid who burns rats.

17 March, 2007 18:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimberlee, you must be crazy! But I see that you also must try to fit in. We enjoy your stories and can close our eyes and hear your voice telling them. We miss you also. Love you ant t and unc g

17 March, 2007 19:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I thought I was going to pee my pants (not the killing part, but the fact that the entire event happened to you makes it funny). My dad killed one of hamsters like that, but we didn't get to eat it. - Josh

18 March, 2007 13:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your story inspired me to run into the back alley and harvest a rat... i love it... from veggie tails to rat tails... i think this experience is having quite an impact on you.

You rock! ~Fos

19 March, 2007 20:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post! believe it or not, I do read them :) and... despite my MANY good intentions of sending you real mail, this will have to do. maybe a little thege will be joining the world in Sept. - surprise! thinking of you... hilary

20 March, 2007 06:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you're crazy, but I love you! I don't think I'll have Kate read that one . . .
Betsy

21 March, 2007 07:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you tons! I must admit I did get a little chuckle out of this one - sorry. Looking forward to reading your next adventure..

Lisa

23 March, 2007 06:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimberlee, I guess you've come a long way from eating just tofu. And I tought that was weird. I miss you so much! I miss hearing your voice telling stories, and hearing stories while you are "tutoring" me in geometry. I did get a B, which is a miracle in itself. Did you ever get our package? I miss you, I am excited for you to get back and help my plan my wedding. Remember you promised me that you would SHAVE your legs for it. LOVE YOU...Kel

25 March, 2007 17:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! When you get back to Chicago, there are some big ones in the alley behind Fourth and in our dumpsters. There's even a brick wall close by. I'll have a fire started...

30 March, 2007 13:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay so this is a late posting! you are invited to my house for dinner anytime if you can eat rat stew and smile about it. we all miss you in CH. i may be going on another caravan. i'll take my first aid kit.
Missy L

26 April, 2007 06:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi kimberlee. I miss you so much. Sunday school just ended. Market Place is next week. Hope you are having fun in Ghana.

I'll be happy when you are back!
Sarah Harmet :)

04 June, 2007 14:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Girl...
I can't believe the year is almost up! I am so looking forward to seeing you again and hearing about your adventures. Have a wonderful time with your mama and safe travels home to all who love and miss you.

The other cool girl

02 July, 2007 08:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home