my life in ghana...

Friday, November 24, 2006

wow...

i don't even know where to begin!
i have settled into my life in peki at the evangelical presbyterian church seminary, and am learning how to be a librarian... it's going well.
we have morning devotions as a seminary community monday, tuesday, thursday, and friday at 7 am, a sunday morning church service, and wednesday nights we have a communion service to which a local choir is invited. this week i got to read the english bible selection for the wednesday service. i was a bit nervous b/c the student who asked me to read was VERY nervous about me reading. he kept telling me "sometimes people can't understand your english." and he made me practice a gazillion times!! but it went very well, and most of the visting choir were surprised to see a white girl up front! the students at the seminary really want me to preach, but i kind of think they just want to get out of their preaching duties!! we shall see about that one!
this week i also got the chance to play football (soccer) in a friendly seminary vs. the town game. i was the only girl who played, and no one could believe i actually wanted to play! it was quite fun, although i was quite tired! and of course, the seminary team won!
on wednesday morning i met the students at 6 am (look at what a morning person i'm becoming) to help mow the lawn. while it sounds like no big deal... except in ghana you mow the lawn with a machete. A MACHETE. small children carry them everywhere and have to bring them to school b/c they are responsible for keeping the grass short. so here's me at 6 am with a machete bent over trying to cut the grass up a super steep hill!! needless to say all the students were laughing their heads off! one even ran to get his camera to document the hilarious occasion! surprisingly, i wasn't very good at this... one student told me i should practice the motions in my room to build up my muscles!! haha!
the more time i spend at the seminary interacting with the students, the more i realize that lots of events in my life have been leading me to the exact place i am in right now. i am uniquely suited for a job at a seminary that trains pastors and church musicians. it is great to to meet people who share my interests in church music, worship and other things like that. i have gotten into many intense debates about church realated issues where i've been very thankful for my previous training!
i have also started drumming lessons at the seminary which are going well. it's a lot of fun, but a little embarassing b/c it's not something that comes easily for me, and everyone can hear all my mistakes!!
i celebrated thanksgiving yesterday in ho with nora, ashley and nora's two housemates becci and anna. we had a big turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, macaroni and cheese, candied carrots, green beans and apple crisp and ice cream!! it was a meal to make the pilgrims proud! and then we had the left over apple crisp for breakfast today. delicious! what a treat to have a real american dinner!
as you can tell, i don't have much acess to the internet over here, so my blogs will be few and far between! but if you write me a letter by snail mail, i promise to write back! my address is
kimberlee frost
e.p. church seminary
p.o. box 29
peki / volta region
ghana, west africa
thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers and letters and packages! i have loved every single one of them!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. Say hi to Bono for me.

27 November, 2006 16:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you really need to practice lots of stuff like machete lawn mowing and the drums! "we're singing wind, rain, fire, storm, kum-by-yah!"
Love, Kater P. Tater Tot

07 December, 2006 15:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well good thing you now know how you can make $900 being a secret shopper. I sent you a package and I have no clue when/if it will get there. That was a story in itself. I do not think the Montgomery, IL post office sees many packages to Ganha. Lets just say I made two trips and had to wrap the box in a paper bag, fill out forms, ect. If it makes it then it will be worth it. Good to see an update...sounds like things are good. Miss ya!

08 December, 2006 17:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home