my life in ghana...

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

abetifi - three weeks

so last weekend we went to a monkey sanctuary... yeah. pretty cool. in this town there was a war between two tribes a long time ago, so the cheif of one tribe turned his tribe into monkeys. but then the other tribe captured the cheif, so he couldn't turn his tribe back into humans. therefore the monkeys in this town are believed to be humans and are treated likewise. they aren't denied anything!! :) when a monkey dies they build it a casket and give it a proper funeral and everything! it was really cool to see. we had to ride a two tro-tros, or mini-bus, for 6 hours to get there. these tro-tros are like a church van w/o seatbelts and packed to the max! :) on the way there our second mini-bus broke down and we had to wait on the side of the road until a new one came! what an adventure. we stayed overnight at a guesthouse at an orphanage for children with mental and physical handicaps. it was really cool and nice, and it was good to be able to support a good cause, too.
i have been thinking about how many people there are in the world...there are people EVERYWHERE in africa. there are a ton of people here in abetifi to get to know, and everyone of them has a story. and obviously i know a ton of people back home who all have their own stories. i'm not sure what all this means yet... but i have been thinking about it.
we went to a different church this sunday and they took up four offerings. people were told to bring 50,000 cedis (approx. $5) and those who didn't were told they still owed god. everyone was told to empty their pockets and the pastor walked around to see if people did! we were thinking if someone did that in the states, everyone would walk out of church!
on a funnier note, there is a song that plays often in the computer lab called "shake your booty for jesus." haha. there is a really interesting integration of christianity into culture here. store names are things like "god will provide justice brake service" it makes me smile.
we are finished with cultural orientation on friday and we will be going back to accra for a few days. i'm not sure what we'll do there... but that is the way here! :)
hope this finds everyone well! i love hearing from everyone!
peace - kimberlee

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No...no dog...I wish! Jeff posted that because Laura got a dog so he just wanted to show her up so he got the cutest picture of a puppy he could find, and posted it up. oh geez. Yay! Good to hear from you again! I'll try and send you a good email here soon. Love you! - Emilee

26 September, 2006 10:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kimberlee,
The monkey sanctuary sounds amazing - John would have been freaking out with his fear of monkey-borne diseases, ha! Actually, he would never have gone in the first place.
Things are going well here - I miss you tons! The R.O.C.K. starts Friday and LOGOS starts next Wednesday...how time flies!
We are going to Marquette for Parents Weekend on Saturday, Brooke is doing great. I joined Curves this week in preparation for the wedding. I really like it so far...I'll be so skinny when you get back you won't recognize me, ha! The wedding is July 21, so you'll just miss it, which is a huge bummer. BR is going to officiate and the reception will be at Ashyana Banquets (it's at 75th and Lemont, behind the Toys R Us where that movie theater that went out of business used to be). This is getting long, I suppose I should have just used your e-mail. Oh well, either way you'll get it!
Love, Deb

27 September, 2006 08:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kim!!
It sounds like you're having an amazing time!!! The monkey sanctuary sounds very unique! I would have loved it I'm sure, lol! I'm glad to hear that things are going so well, I can't wait to hear from you about when you get to your final placement!! Have fun!
~Brooke

27 September, 2006 14:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim!! I like how immediately following the description of your mini-bus being like a church van you follow with the story about how it broke down. Makes me think of Pittsburgh-haha! You're awesome-I couldn't do what you're doing. Unless they need a vet at the monkey sanctuary-ha. :) Whenever I hear the song "Africa" (which, of course, is ALL the time) I think of you. Not because you're in Africa but b/c you once told me it was your favorite 80s song. By the way, I used to work for a professor from Ghana. He spoke perfect English, and also perfect Japanese for that matter...and now I am wasting away your internet minutes so I will stop and let you get on w/ your day. :)

02 October, 2006 13:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, Kimberlee -- it's wonderful to hear how life is there! I remember my friend Ben Sparks saying the same thing about stores in Ghana -- like the Jesus Saves Gas Station. Makes you think!

Love,

Chris

18 October, 2006 07:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home